SALUTATIONS




Salutations
Fiction Story
.
.
.
In my routine drive of two kilometer, a cross road falls in between. There stand a policeman, handling traffic. Traffic signal at the crossroad was as usual not working, the way government of this country. Policeman took the stand there and valiantly controlled the furious crowd. He would whistle and he would scream and shout, and no one dared to break the rule. He worked from sunrise to sunset, till his Wardi (uniform) would get sweat wet.

Every day on my two wheelers I would pass through that cross road. Sometimes I would drive and sometimes get stuck in the impatient wheels. And from the smoke of the stroke machines, I would watch him soundly, performing his duty, with every tick of time and blow of horns. After a week of keen observation I was fascinated by his punctuality. By the way he mastered the art of controlling hundreds of furious beasts, all alone. But often what we see and what actually it is, is so very different.

As being fascinated by him, I started saluting him every day. Reward for his dedication and determination – a Salute from a Youth of country plus a wide smile. First time when I salute him, he turned back to see if it was for him or else. It took almost a week of assurance and then he believed.

I saluted him every day, byproduct of my act resulted in never been caught for no helmet and no license. But with my every reverence, a sign of guilt glanced out of his face. My hand would rise for a salute and his hand- pointing his mustache’s end will fall down, breaking his rowdy mood. I couldn’t figure out what was eating him within. After a hectic day under the Sun, after going through so much of physical pain, why would he hesitate a salutation? Curiosity aroused to know the secret of his guilt but time didn’t allow. I was busy with my destination, to go and return around.

One day when I saluted him, I saw him speaking words towards me. I look behind for else, and conformed, words worth me. I had a helmet and a license both, neither my vehicle was from thief’s store. He signaled me to stand on side, and ordered his junior to take care of horny beasts (traffic).

“Don’t salute me please, I don’t deserve it at all” he said, distressed. “Ok, I won’t” I said “but only if you give me reason for”. He gazed in my eyes and maybe he felt the comfort of trustworthy vibes. “I am a corrupted officer” he said in dismal “If you have noticed, I never fined you even when you were at fault” “Because I take bribe, on fine of 200, I take half of it and slide bald Gandhi down my pocket” he mumbled with eyes of shame.

To his unexpected, I smiled, as largest as my lips allowed, my chest tight, full with proud and like a military soldier, I saluted him. He looked baffled at my reaction. “What…?” he asked bewildered. “Salute for a policeman, a courageous man who can confess his fault. A courageous one who can confess can definitely Change” “I am glad to meet a person like you, hats off to you” I said and left.

Before I saluted him for his hard work and dedication, now I saluted him for his courage and ability to confess truth. I could condemn and criticize but I choose to see best for my sight.

Month of continuous salutes and at 4th week he disappeared from my sight. Maybe he was sick or suspended off. Another week, all seven days rolled on, and for those 2 minutes at the crossroad, my eyes rolled for him. Maybe he is gone and the act of Salutation has to be end, I thought as I drive and suddenly in between he jumped. “Son!” he said, his eyes elated. He took me aside and shared his change of life

“Your Salutations turned me around, your smile healed and respect you gave changed me. I no longer live in the gutter of Corruption. My wife criticized my way of earning but it hurt my ego and more evil I became. Your respect made me feel ashamed. This paper has its value because of the Mahatma smiling on it. Thank you for making me realize who I am” he said all in a single breath as a kid passed out with 100% result gulping his treat. I smiled, he smiled and tore a fine of 50 Rs “No helmet Mr.” we both laughed. For the first time I felt proud, paying a fine.

We had a handshake and I accelerated my vehicle to leave, but before I could drive off. I saw his right hand near his head, his eyes intent at me, his chest curved outwards, legs joined and his back straight.

He saluted me with a smile.
Salutation
-Shail Raval

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOODBYE

Why I put on Sunglasses that day ?

The Crazy Ones | Steve Jobs | Motivational Video | SuperHuman Formula